You Might Like
Spread the love
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •  

[sg_popup id=97]

by Daveda Gruber:

On Wednesday the caravan of approximately 1,000 Central Americans coming toward the United States seemed to be splitting off into smaller groups.

They had drawn the attention of the American people and the anger of President Trump.

After starting a journey from the Guatemala-Mexico border on March 25, since the weekend the large group has been camped out in the town of Matias Romero in the southern part of Mexico.

The caravan had hit a crest of about 1,500 people.

A spokesperson for the advocacy group Pueblo Sin Fronteras, which organized the caravan and wanted to draw attention to the rights of migrants, that many people had broken off and were continuing the route on their own.

Ellis Garcia said, “Now they’re separating these groups. I don’t know what’s the deal, we have no answers.”

Mexico began cracking down on the group, as the caravan began to attract growing attention in the U.S..

Mexico’s Interior Ministry has said that about 400 people who were in the caravan had been sent back to their home countries.

Mexican immigration authorities began screening those people who were still in Matias Romero.

Organizers said that it provoked the caravan to break apart.

On Monday around 300 people split from the larger caravan.

Dozens of other people split off to the eastern state of Veracuz where they were met by Mexican immigration officials and police.

With the stated goal of applying for asylum, some people were given documents that gives them 20 days to passage through the country on their way to the U.S. border.

In a first step toward a humanitarian Mexican residency visa, some of the more vulnerable received papers for asylum in Mexico.

Irineo Mujica, a coordinator of the caravan said, “What was agreed with the Mexican state, what is being agreed with the Mexican state, is to legalize those people who are vulnerable, which is the majority of migrants. And we are looking out for their interests, with exit routes, some people are more vulnerable, humanitarian visas or any other type of document so they can cross through the country in the best way possible.”

Mayra Zepeda, 38, of Honduras told the associated press  that once she gets documents to cross Mexico, she and her husband will continue their journey toward the border city of Tijuana. She said they hope to find better paying jobs there and aren’t planning to try to cross into the U.S..

She and her family stopped in the Mexican town of Tapachula at the Guatemala border for three months and she worked in a restaurant. When the caravan came together there, they saw it as a good opportunity to make a move with safety in numbers.

Zepeda said, “Honestly, I want to be Mexican. We’re not going to cross. We’re just going to stay here.”

While some plan to stay in Mexico, others do plan to continue on their journey to reach the U.S..

Mirna Hernandez said, “Our destination is to reach the United States, to support those who remain (in Honduras), Not long ago my brother was killed, he was killed cruelly. Doing this for him and his family, that is why we are fighting to go there.”

Illegal border crossings slowed down after Trump’s election. Border agents said that there is a daily informal caravan that has kept border apprehensions increasing in the months since, as word spread that nothing has changed along the border.

They knew there was no wall built.

On Tuesday, Trump made it known that he would deploy the National Guard to protect the border until a wall can be built.

Over the past 12 years, presidents have sent National Guard troops to the border twice to bolster security and assist with surveillance and other support.

Maybe with knowledge that Trump is in support of them, the job can be done more efficiently.

But…we need the WALL!

 


Spread the love
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •  

Leave a Reply