by Daveda Gruber:
On Friday the latest person to withdraw from consideration for White House Chief of Staff to replace John Kelly was former New Jersey Governor Chris Christie.
Christie said that he has asked President Trump to take him out of the running.
Christie said in a statement, “It’s an honor to have the president consider me as he looks to choose a new White House chief of staff. However, I’ve told the president that now is not the right time for me or my family to undertake this serious assignment. As a result, I have asked him to no longer keep me in any of his considerations for this post.”
The Republican, Christie, unsuccessfully ran for president in 2016. He backed Trump’s bid for the job instead.
He has been considered for numerous administration jobs since his gubernatorial term ended this year. He has not been assigned any formal administration role.
On Thursday Trump said, when speaking to reporters, he was down to five candidates to replace the departing Kelly.
Kelly plans to leave the White House in the coming weeks.
Trump said, “We are interviewing people now for chief of staff.”
He said the shortlist of “five people” consisted of “mostly well-known” contenders who were all “terrific people” and “really good ones.”
Trump has given clues in a TV interview.
He said, “I want somebody that’s strong but I want somebody that thinks like I do. It’s my vision. It is my vision. After all, at the same time, I’m open to ideas.”
Trump has had a bit of a struggle to get several contenders to commit to the job.
Vice President Pence’s chief of staff, Nick Ayers, had been originally thought to be a top choice for the president. Ayers withdrew from consideration.